The LIDERAMOS story begins in December 2015 when the MillerCoors Company funded an initial networking seminar to convene experts in the field of Latino leadership and seven directors who operate exceptional leadership programs. This was the first meeting of its kind. Our purpose was to share effective models, best practices, and unique features with the intent of elevating the quality, content, and reliability of nonprofit Latino leadership programs.
The founding organizations quickly realized the benefits of bringing programs together and learning from one another. However, there was no organization whose core mission was to improve and ignite leadership in the Latino community. Thus LIDERAMOS was launched. The Founders identified the following five dynamics that underscored the need for this organization.
- Latino Leadership development programs are young with their emergence over a 30 year period, beginning in the 1980’s, but most were initiated in the 2000’s.
- Sheer demographic projections underscore the need for massive leadership development programs to prepare Latinos to lead their growing numbers and to address the myriad needs and issues facing their communities.
- Additionally, our nation will lose the potential contributions of this dynamic population and the infusion of energy, assets, and youthful promise Latinos bring.
- More organizations need to be positioned to offer programs that prepare Latinos to lead their communities in a variety of fields, while better understanding and appreciating their cultural background.
- A national partnership of Latino Leadership programs would offer numerous benefits for existing programs, enhance the scope and impact of Latino Leadership, and provide a knowledge base for cultivating additional programs.
In January of 2022, Lideramos welcomed their inaugural Executive Director to guide the organization forward as we build a nation of Latino Leaders.
2022 was a phenomenal success of being able to be in community in-person! We are happy to share our 2022 Annual Report!
FOUNDING BOARD OF DIRECTORS
President: Juana Bordas
President and CEO
Mestiza Leadership International – Colorado
Vice President: Sylvia Puente
Latino Policy Forum- Illinois
Vice President – Richard Martinez
RJ and Associates – San Antonio
Treasurer: Carol Rodriquez
Member Resources and Training Director
National Association for Latino Community Asset Builders – National Scope
Secretary: Angela Flores
COO Valle del Sol – Arizona
Hispanic Leadership Institute
Chief Executive Officer
Conexion – Advancing Latino Leadership – Boston
Senior Program Manager
Harvard JFK School of Government – Boston
William R. Gil
Educational Director – Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute – DC
Dr. Lissette Garcia
COO and Director of Research Programs and Initiatives Manager
Diversified Search – DC
Mujeres Latinas en Accion – Chicago
Hispanic Association for Corporate Responsibility – National Scope